[Ncdxf-bod-sub] Navassa Island DXpedtion revised budget and letter of explanation...

Don Greenbaum don at aurumtel.com
Thu Nov 20 09:45:53 PST 2014

N1DG votes a grant of $30,000.
As always I will change my vote to match the majority decision.

Don
N1DG

At 12:17 PM 11/20/2014, W6OTC wrote:
>        I agree with the following points made by Don:
>
>        1.  QSL income (thanks to OQRS) has become more and more important to
>the "most wanted" DXpeditions and has increased substantially over the past
>5 or so years, and US hams are the major donors to OQRS.  Whatever the need
>in EU/AS, those hams are not major contributors to DXpeditions.  QSOs for
>this operation will certainly equal at least 150,000; I personally expect
>200,000.
>        2.  UEE finances are never transparent.  I don't know if he even
>gives his own team all the real numbers especially re income.  We need
>access to his raw data, particular the geographical distribution of OQRS
>income.  That has been half-promised in the past but never delivered.
>
>        I don't agree entirely with the following points made by Don:
>
>        1.  EU should give more, especially where the need is greater for
>them than for the US.  Yes, but the fact is they do not have a history or
>culture of giving and indeed there is a strong faction in Europe (centered
>in G-land and which we have discussed before) that thinks QSLs should be
>instant and free for all--a view that would destroy the economic basis for
>major DXpeditions.  The US does have a history and culture of private giving
>to support public good, hence tax deductions for charitable giving and the
>existence of the NCDXF.   I don't think our lesser contribution will produce
>a greater contribution from EU.  I do think that since we are the big dog in
>Foundation giving, we can and should be more assertive in conditioning our
>grants on more full disclosure of financial results of DXpeditions we fund,
>at least those above some significant grant level, perhaps $20,000.   But
>that is a separate discussion for full implementation (e.g. the application
>needs to be modified).
>        2.  This is a Caribbean DXpedition, instead of a Southern Ocean or
>the Pacific one so we should give less.  The specific location  is not
>controlling for me.  The issues are rarity, the cost of the DXpedition and
>the contribution/op.  If, as in the past, it was easy to get permission to
>land on KP1 and KP5, we wouldn't be dealing with a 15-man UEE DXpedition at
>all.  Many small groups would find more economic ways to go there
>frequently.  But since UEE is the only one to have gotten permission to
>reactivate these two entities (only once so far) we have to deal with him
>and the idea of rare and large DXpeditions instead of frequent and small
>DXpeditions.  To the list of likely future DXpetitions that Don lists, we
>now know from today's Daily DX that we can add Palmyra which will have
>similar problems.  I still say we deal with each application when it is
>made, rather than let potential future DXpeditions influence what we give
>now (whenever "now" is).  Some of the expected future ones may not
>materialize in the near future; others we don't yet know may appear.  But
> [...]

Don Greenbaum
Aurum Telemedia Co. 27 Pill Hill Lane, Duxbury, MA 02332 phone: 781 934 5534
Aurum London:  319 EndsleIgh Court, London, UK phone:  97150 553 5528
Aurum Middle East: Qatar  97150 553 5228
www.gulftrackservices.com
www.aurumtel.com
www.artificialcognition.com
AIM:  aurumtel

* * * Powerful Solutions Start with the Right Questions * * *