[Ncdxf-bod-sub] Navassa Island DXpedtion revised budget and letter of explanation...

W6OTC w6otc at garlic.com
Thu Nov 20 09:17:58 PST 2014

       I agree with the following points made by Don:

       1.  QSL income (thanks to OQRS) has become more and more important to
the "most wanted" DXpeditions and has increased substantially over the past
5 or so years, and US hams are the major donors to OQRS.  Whatever the need
in EU/AS, those hams are not major contributors to DXpeditions.  QSOs for
this operation will certainly equal at least 150,000; I personally expect
200,000.
       2.  UEE finances are never transparent.  I don't know if he even
gives his own team all the real numbers especially re income.  We need
access to his raw data, particular the geographical distribution of OQRS
income.  That has been half-promised in the past but never delivered.

       I don't agree entirely with the following points made by Don:

       1.  EU should give more, especially where the need is greater for
them than for the US.  Yes, but the fact is they do not have a history or
culture of giving and indeed there is a strong faction in Europe (centered
in G-land and which we have discussed before) that thinks QSLs should be
instant and free for all--a view that would destroy the economic basis for
major DXpeditions.  The US does have a history and culture of private giving
to support public good, hence tax deductions for charitable giving and the
existence of the NCDXF.   I don't think our lesser contribution will produce
a greater contribution from EU.  I do think that since we are the big dog in
Foundation giving, we can and should be more assertive in conditioning our
grants on more full disclosure of financial results of DXpeditions we fund,
at least those above some significant grant level, perhaps $20,000.   But
that is a separate discussion for full implementation (e.g. the application
needs to be modified).
       2.  This is a Caribbean DXpedition, instead of a Southern Ocean or
the Pacific one so we should give less.  The specific location  is not
controlling for me.  The issues are rarity, the cost of the DXpedition and
the contribution/op.  If, as in the past, it was easy to get permission to
land on KP1 and KP5, we wouldn't be dealing with a 15-man UEE DXpedition at
all.  Many small groups would find more economic ways to go there
frequently.  But since UEE is the only one to have gotten permission to
reactivate these two entities (only once so far) we have to deal with him
and the idea of rare and large DXpeditions instead of frequent and small
DXpeditions.  To the list of likely future DXpetitions that Don lists, we
now know from today's Daily DX that we can add Palmyra which will have
similar problems.  I still say we deal with each application when it is
made, rather than let potential future DXpeditions influence what we give
now (whenever "now" is).  Some of the expected future ones may not
materialize in the near future; others we don't yet know may appear.  But
note that we have never developed a working philosophy of the amount of our
assets we should spend/yr.  That is another issue for separate discussion.

       So, at the moment, we have no stated opposition to the idea of making
a grant, and we have before us a range of $30-40k.   Please comment and/or
be ready to vote by tomorrow (Friday).  We need to make a decision on this
application.

       73, Glenn, W6OTC