[FQP] Fw: FQP and 10M

Nzharps at aol.com Nzharps at aol.com
Thu Apr 1 06:40:45 PDT 2010

Hi all,

Having done several FQP's with K1TO from the mobile ('07, '09),  I've have
had some experience with band choices, etc.

My installation is very bare bones. I use two mag mounts and hamsticks
mounted on a Honda minivan. The '07 operation saw a 20m antenna on one mag
during the whole weekend. For most of day 1 we also had a 15m stick operational
 on the other mag mount. As evening approached we made a stop for gas and
replaced it with 40m. This allowed us to start Sunday morning with 40 & 20
and then switch out the 40 for 15 at our first stop of the day. This
arrangement worked well to the tune of 2700 cw QSO's.. of course having K1TO as  a
team mate certainly helps those Q totals.

Last year saw a change in strategy..we ended up having 20 and 40 QRV for
the whole weekend while the 15m stick sat quietly stored in the van. Poor
band conditions were not the only reason for this. There are many stations in
the Southeast that are active in the FQP that are within 40m daylight
range. We  took advantage of this on Sunday by making Q's on 40 in many of the
counties  that we were in. There weren't overwhelming numbers but there
certainly seemed  to be Q's available for the occasional 5 minutes of activity.
Our final totals  were about 2600 Q's despite rather poor conditions.

Perhaps K9VV could shed more light on 40m activity levels with results from
 the 2009 N4KK mobile multi-multi operation.  I believe they had a 40m
station active during most of their trip. Would also be curious if they did
much  on 15m.

The 2010 FQP, with the prospect of improved bands, does present a new
challenge. 15m MAY be useful during the day, and certainly 40m will  have
daylight potential while 20m will have the most activity. Stops to change  15 and
40 are out of the question..what to do, what to do??  Has anyone had
experience with three mag mounted hamsticks on a minivan??

Notice I haven't mentioned 10m..I think that decision is still a year  or
more in the future and not worthy of serious consideration this  year.

Looking forward to FQP 2010.

73/OJ,
Ron, K8NZ

In a message dated 4/1/2010 7:13:34 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,