[FQP] FQP Mobile Rules Clarification

K1to at aol.com K1to at aol.com
Fri Mar 30 20:06:01 PST 2007

In a message dated 3/30/07 7:00:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ku8e at bellsouth.net writes:

> So does that mean it's OK to do this and submit our score for the mobile
> category ?
>
>   If you think about it there are a couple strategies to use as a
> rover/mobile category - 1) try to operate in as many counties as you can,
> without stopping OR #2 operate in fewer counties and maximize you QSO's in
> the county with a better antenna, which you can do it you stop somewhere.

I would accept your log as a mobile entrant, yes.  We're really too late to
get the word out about additional categories for this year anyway.

Yes, there is a definite tradeoff between stopping and erecting an antenna
vs. staying in motion.

This brings up a whole set of additional questions.  If a rover is defined as
one that sets up a temporary stn in a county and we try to define it
differently than a mobile, then what happens when that same rover then tears down and
heads for the next county?  We would want them to be able to operate with
mobile antennas, too, if they were so equipped.

I honestly haven't looked at how other QSO parties or contests define rovers
distinct from mobiles, so I'm wide open to suggestions or pointers to a set of
rules that are already in place that work as intended.

Good discussion.  Keep it coming!

73, Dan