[FQP] FQP Mobile Rules Clarification

K1to at aol.com K1to at aol.com
Fri Mar 30 13:59:01 PST 2007

In a message dated 3/30/07 4:26:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ku8e at bellsouth.net writes:

> (C) Mobile. Mobile is a station that is self-contained (radio, antenna,
> power source) capable of motion. Motion is optional. The Mobile category is not
> limited by the number of operators for competition purposes. Mobile entrants
> may be either Single Operator or Multioperator. There are two classes of
> Single Operator for mobiles.
>
> Does that mean we could not stop -say at a state park - and throw up a 20
> meter dipole and operate awhile from the car  - then drive to our next location
> running our mobile antenna and do the same from that next location ? This is
> more of the classic "rover" operation then really mobile. I don't see FQP
> has a "rover" class. If I wanted to do this what category would we submit our
> score in ? Is my dipole antenna self contained if it supported by a DK9SQ mast
> that is touch my  car ???

Jeff -

Thanks for asking.  You have a good point.  Not sure why we stated the rules
so precisely, to be honest.  Yes, the intent is to incorporate rovers, too.
In fact, I was part of a 3-man group in one of the first FQPs that did
something similar with a tribander and mast.  We entered as /m, since we also made
mobile contacts from those counties and a callsign can only have one entry from a
county.

The FQP committee will take this wording into more careful consideration...

If there is sufficient reason to separate out rovers into a different
category, we will consider that as well.

73, Dan