[FQP] Mobile Window

Ron Wetjen wd4ahz at gte.net
Thu Apr 19 06:38:45 PDT 2007

Jerry Keller wrote:

> While we're on the subject of Mobile Windows, I note that the rules state
> that "Florida "home" stations should not call CQ or run stations" in the
> mobile windows.  No mention is made of stations outside Florida doing so.
> Does that mean it's OK for stations outside Florida ?

Common sense says no (can you write a rule for common sense?).  Most of
the serious participants outside of Florida are chasing the mobiles in
this window (I know, I hear the pileups!).  I seriously doubt someone
outside Florida trying to "run" in this window will get much of a
response from Florida stations because of the multi-pileup QRM going on
all around them.  Of course, there's always that one in every crowd ...

> Also, exactly what IS acceptable practice for Florida "home" stations in the
> Mobile Windows?

We avoid it ... unless we're working a mobile zipping past on the
Interstate or knock off a few mobiles when the pileups die down (they
are not mults for us, so really no incentive to work them).  To maximize
the rate, we should be calling CQ elsewhere instead of playing around in
the mobile window ... but then, maybe that's just me.

Ron