[FQP] K3BZ SO HP SSB - PA

Jerry Keller - K3BZ k3bz at arrl.net
Mon Apr 25 13:32:42 PDT 2005

2005 Florida QSO Party      K3BZ

QTH = Pennsylvania

Single Op - HP (Unassisted)

Phone Only

Band        QSOs         Mults
_______________________

40M           15                  1

20M          379               64
_______________________

Totals       394                65

Claimed Score = 25,610

10M and 15M showed me nothing whatsoever Sat afternoon so I started on 20M. There seemed to be lots
more
stations than last year, and I was amazed to pass my last year's total by 2000Z Sat. There were
T-storms
with heavy lightning Sat aft and eve, but I only lost a total of about 2 hours to them.  I kept
hopefully checking
40M but nothing doing...I only managed a couple of Q's around 2030Z.  Last year I totaled 115 Q's
and 45 mults,
so my goals this year were 200 Q's and 50 mults.  And I even thought that might be stretching it a
bit.   But I had
almost reached that by the end of the Sat session, so I went to bed really happy.   Sunday morning I
started
off on 40M and got 20-over-9 reports but only found 11 Q's before retreating to 20M again.   In
fact, this was
nearly a single-band effort for me...both days combined all I could find on 40M were 15
Q's...crazy... ALL
the rest were on 20M. I had to revise my goals several times Sunday afternoon and the end
result....394 Q's
and 61 of the 67 counties... went beyond my wildest dreams.   My utmost thanks go to all the
mobiles...you
guys were awesome.   It seemed like N1XC and NF4A were popping in every ten minutes with a new
county.
Do those guys have jet engines or something?   I hope next year more attention will be paid to
keeping the mobile
window open, but other than that this contest was a real pleasure to operate... all the ops were top
notch and the
whole thing was fun. Thanks also to all of you that do the post-contest admin work and the scoring
and write-ups.
IMHO, the FQP is a model for State QSO Parties, and an excellent example for all the rest to follow.
Thanks and 73 until next year,  Jerry K3BZ