[FQP]FlQP K4KG/M SO Mobile+DriverMixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 2 20:23:15 CDT 2004

                    Florida QSO Party

Call: K4KG/M
Operator(s): K5KG, VE7ZO
Station: K4KG

Class: SO Mobile+DriverMixed LP
QTH: 45 FL Ctys
Operating Time (hrs): 20

   40:   225    10
   20:  1984   305
   15:    36     0
   10:     0     0
--------------------
Total:  2245   315  CW Mults = 69  Ph Mults = 50  Total Score = 1,143,590

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Well, after months of preparation, the FQP has come and gone and log analysis
has once again taken center stage.  Our initial vision of running a multi-multi
with W6TER & K5HAB from a delux RV & Ford Expedition counterpoise driven in from
New Mexico was replaced with the more modest Ford Explorer that was used in last
year's running of the FQP.  Now as many will attest, the accommodations within
the Explorer are by no means Spartan as the front passenger seat was removed for
this event and an operating table installed to rival many home station set ups.
An IC-756Pro2, laptop running WL, external keyboard, external keyer, dual marine
batteries and a screwdriver antenna with remote tuning constituted the mobile
setup.

In preparation, this year’s operating platform featured a number of changes to
improve performance in signal and operating convenience.  Gone was the
cumbersome K4FQP call that had tied tongues and confused loggers from last year.
 In its place, a sparkling new K4KG call, courtesy of K5KG/K5RC’s QRO ARC.  The
ham sticks were brought for back up only after the new High Sierra 1800 was
installed two weeks before the contest.  The operating table leveled and
redesigned to make operating easier.  The trip routing from last year was
modified as well to shorten the time in the large counties and improve the
overall rate.  With several small reservations, we were very pleased with the
effect the alterations had on the results.

Day 1:    QSO’s:   1222
Day 2:    QSO’s:   1338

Oddly, the events that go awry during the contests tend to be the ones that
stick most in the mind.  We had a very practical goal of 48 counties activated
during the contest but two wrong turns on different days caused us to learn way
more about Orange and Citrus counties than we ever wanted.  Nonetheless, 45
counties were activated.  With memories of the State Troopers moving N4TO/K1TO
from the side of I-10 last year, we worked only two lucky stations – W6TER and
W7SE - from Nassau County while driving through at QRS.

At our brief stops, curious onlookers questioned the “AMATEUR RADIO EMERGENCY
COMMUNICATIONS” signs on the car.  At one 7-11, some curious fellows from south
of the border scattered quickly when George mumbled something in broken Spanish
about us being with the INS!  At another pit stop, two good old boys - Florida
Crackers - James and John, asked what we were doing.  We gave them an honest
answer - something about carrying out an emergency practice drill.  We were so
impressed with John’s interest in sitting in the K4KG operating seat, that we
took their pictures and recruited them as second ops!

Pre-fretting over the high vehicular electrical noise on the High Sierra proved
unnecessary and, although we failed at a last minute attempt to change out the
spark plug wires on Friday night, signals as a rule were over the S6 noise
threshold.  Activity levels and conditions were terrific overall.  Our forays
into the high bands were few and regrets were only that there may have been
multipliers missed.  With combined SSB and CW rates that averaged over 125 per
hour for the duration of the contest, there was little incentive to move from 20
or 40 meters.  We give thanks and kudos to the pack of US, VE and DX regulars
who patiently followed us from county to county.  One of the more memorable DX
contacts was with JH4UYB who called us on 20 CW at 1330 local!

Congratulations to the organizers and publicity agents for making this K4OJ
Memorial Contest a special event for our team and many others.  The ‘OJ
signature was universally used, even amongst the European regulars.

73 and see you next year,

Team K4KG

George K5KG
Jim VE7ZO