[FQP]Mobile Categories

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Apr 29 21:48:39 CDT 2003

This is a tough nut to crack - a lot of folks have the ability to have a
friend or spouse drive so they can operate...

The Panhandle types do not it seems - their spouses and friends know
better than to pair up with a rabid contester for 20 hours of them
cussing about having their frequency stolen, and "this guy musta oiled
up his friggin straight key for the contest he has got to be sendin a
good 7 WPM!"

NF4A, N4OO and KN4Y I believe all do it solo - when we were writing the
rules for the FQP I could not imagine this image - but wondered to
myself if someday there would be ability with some sort of computer
interface for a guy to drive AND operate simultaneously... then I got
sober real quick and thought about which should have priority - holding
the run frequency or vehicular homicide!

Guys who stop and operate are to be applauded... I do not think I could
take runous interuptous!  When the FQP comes up to speed there ain't no
stoppin' it!

The first few years of the FQP I did as stop set up antennas and operate
sorta Field Day style.... then I saw the numbers that could be made by
keeping rolling... the more times you cross a county line the more times
you are fresh meat and those rate meters peg. This is an F1 event for
Floridians plain and simple... you would think a bunch of rate hungry
contesters wrote the rules!

As far as distinguishing between the solo person doing both the driving
and the operating and an operator assisted by a "drive-only" partner -
there may be something to this.  It is not a question of matching
operator skills but essentially penalizing one operator by his having to
drive as well!

Know switching to my imagination - I am driving my pickup truck alone
and it is FQP weekend - so obviously I am workin g the contest, how do I
do it and make a fat log total too...Thinking about some alternate
possibilities here - if I were doing it solo - which would take away a
lot of the fun for me - Kevin and I have a helluva good time bs-ing and
nick-naming the callers:

I would try and figure a way to do it as a mixed mode entry, I would
drive from one county line to the other and would operate phone during
the driving - recording the operation for transcription later on. At the
stop on the county line I would continue to run the "previous" county
but now on CW -and- then when the rate petered out I would switch to
operating CW as the new "next" county....when that petered out I would
start the engine and go back to haulin' arse and dealing with the
sideband portion of my contest... although two of the greatest
frustrations in life, to me anyway, are SSB and those damn Florida drivers!

The big trick would be figuring a way to time stamp the phone QSOs... I
know that you can view video tapes which have a running clock at the
bottom of the screen, the same technology - or even a stock VCR that you
use the audio input as the output of the RX would work... and... if you
wanted to get fancy I suppose you could savor the moment by including a
camera lookin out the front window to capture the alligators on the Alley!

I think the FCG out to think about this unique distinction... operator
solo or driver assisted single ops.... and then we could open a whole
'nother can of worms - who had the most pocket cash to hire the fastest
driver... think of the post contest postings, its not fair OJ got to
ride shotgun in WC4E's Zee car, my wife drove our VW Bus which has not
had a tune up since 1967 - it ain't fair!  Or mebbe we need to have the
entrants include their mileage covered and then score them on a QSO per
mile basis... or.....

More coffee, please

OJ