[FQP]Mobile Categories

Hal Offutt Hal at japancorporateresearch.com
Wed Apr 30 00:13:30 CDT 2003

Ron, Jim, Tom and Everyone,

Discussion you want, discussion you get, Ron.  I'm happy that you FCGers
are willing to consider rule refinements to make the FQP better.

I studied the current FQP rules and here's my take on this.  The FQP has two
mobile classes:  "single operator" and "multi operator."  If my
understanding is correct, both categories permit two bodies in the car and
allow someone to operate and someone else to drive. The only real difference
is that in the "multi operator" category, the ops get to switch off.  In
terms of competition, these two styles of mobile operating are essentially
the same:  both have a devoted driver and a devoted operator.  In two ten
hour contests like the FQP, operator fatigue is not a major factor, so it is
fully conceivable that under the current rules, a "single operator" could
beat a "multi operator."

The problem is that these two categories provide no place for the operator
who either likes to do everything by him/herself or can't find a driver and
has no choice but to go out on his/her own.  If these folks have to compete
against mobiles who have full time drivers, it is, as Tom points out, very
unfair.

I would argue that in mobile contesting, the major distinction is whether
there is one person in the car or more than one person in the car, not
whether there is only one radio op or more than one radio op.  If you are
to have two categories (which the FQP justifiably has), I think it makes
sense to separate them in this fashion.

Therefore, I would suggest that the current "single operator" category be
defined as Tom suggests:  one person doing everything.  I'm am not
suggesting the creation of a new category, just a refinement in the
definition of the current "single operator" category. That's pretty much
what it is anyway, from what I can see.

Solo mobiling is a learned skill very much like SO2R.  It takes a lot of
experience to get good at it.  Some ops never feel that they can drive and
operate so they minimize their driving and spend most of the contest parked
somewhere.  They will usually hang out near four county intersections and
try to work all the bands and modes before moving into the next county.  (In
last year's PAQP, by design I only drove 140 miles during the 22 hour
contest.)  Others drive and operate mostly on back roads where there is
little traffic and record everything on tape recorders, voice recorders, or
whatever.  The solution you come up with is part of your own operating
technique and your bag of tricks.  Obviously safety is an issue, as it is
with multi operators.  Mobiles should be required to obey the speed limits
and other traffic rules and always put safety first.

I hope this adds something to the discussion.

73,

Hal W1NN