[FQP]Re: [FCG] FQP NJ4M/M M/SABMixed (sometimes) LP Summary

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Apr 28 18:35:09 CDT 2003

We found the road - no help from any sort of signage - the only clue was
that in Dolphs it shows Tamiami trail taking a bend at that point and
there was a nearby bend in the road....

We drove down the road for a while and then there was a change in the
method of paving, we took that as the county line and started signing MON...

Eventually that road turned into crushed shells and no asphalt to be
seen... then we saw one of those "you are here" outposts which had a map
in it and I jumped out (Kevin was operating at the time) and walked over
to it to find that, YES the road was indeed the one it seems to be... I
hadn't seen a gator in the road for over a quarter mile, the one we saw
was just a baby mebbe 4 foot long or so, so I felt comfortable taking a
look see at the covered sign.

For future reference it was refered to as somethin' "Loop" which kind of
makes sense when you look at it on the map, and if you watch the
odomoeter you can work backwards to that point, and remember the shapr
crick in the road, to find it...

What really surprised me was that this was not the county which was most
prolific as far as QSOs - I expected a real flurry of activity for
Kevin, and it was decent but we only made 74 QSOs form MON before we
said time for Collier which turned out to be the most prolific for us at
115 QSOs...

I agree with George, there sure were a lot of "turkey hawks/vultures"
waiting for or working on Road kill.... we almost hit a turtle (or is
that a TOrtoise) when we wer on the trail in Collier - he was far across
that I stradled him with the wheel base and yes, he was fine in the rear
view....

That part of the trip was one of the worst as far as road quality, thank
god we had the computer and NA - sending CW when you are bouncin g
around like that is NO fun!

Back to net.........

K4OJ