[Cwo] 2014 CW Open and YO DX HF Contest

Jim Talens jtalens at verizon.net
Tue Sep 10 06:58:04 PDT 2013

I've suggested before that as between August 23 and September 6 the former
on its face appears slightly preferable.   Weigh the likelihood of North
America guys who will not participate because of the Sept. 6 back-to-back
feature of the popular NA Sprint against some very minor state QSO parties
on August 23 that pose little risk of CWO dilution.  The balance would seem
to favor August 23.   But despite that I am willing to go with September 6,
only because I think locating it on the calendar after Labor Day in this
country will help stimulate North America interest, perhaps enough to
overcome the loss of operators from NA Sprint distraction.  Folks are still
in a vacation mode in August but after Labor Day the contest season looms
and that may translate into more participation in CWO.  The NA Sprint
sponsors won't be thrilled, but neither would the Ohio and Hawaii QSO party
sponsors.

Jim, N3JT