[Cwo] SO2R - again

k6rb at baymoon.com k6rb at baymoon.com
Fri Mar 1 06:11:52 PST 2013

I would add the following to what John has said....

If the activity level in CWT gets to a point where 150 different
stations work the same band over an hour's time, then SO2R becomes moot.
And, because of the nature of CWT rules, that person who grabs, say, 100
Qs on 40 meters, will have a score of 10,000 points.

In addition to the subjective advantages of SO2R versus SO1R, there are
advantages to location. If 160 is productive during an 0300Z session, and
the usual players are on it, I would argue that Left Coasters are at a
significant disadvantage on that band. So what?

When I look at my score, I don't compare myself to N4AF; I compare
myself to W6SX and N6RO (and usually come in 3rd). But, as John points
out, I am really comparing myself to me. Can I break 100 again? Can I get
more mults? Should I stay on 20 or 40 longer?

Let's not make CWT too competitive. Save that for CW Open. Let's just
have fun. Everyone who plays for the whole hour - regardless of whether
running full legal into gain antennas or 100 watts into a wet noodle -
makes it more fun for everyone else.

Rob K6RB

In general I agree with you. The debate of SO1R vs SO2R rages on within
NCCC all the time. Many would like to see the major contests recategorized
to account for the theoretical competitive advantage that SO2R stations
have. A lot, however, has to do with the skill set involved and also
actual times on the air.

Comments about the CWT Scores Table:

1. The scores shown are not meaningful at all unless everyone
operates for the full hour in each session. Otherwise it's an Apples to
Oranges comparison. In my case, in the 0300Z session, I made 70 Qs but
only could operate 40 minutes because of a pre-scheduled conference call.
You wouldn't know that from the Scores table.

2. There were several SO1R stations who actually "beat"
some of the SO2R stations -- or did they? Compare N3JT's score of 6141 vs
N4ZZ's SO2R score of 4752 in the 1900Z session. Did they both operate for
the full hour?

3. How about those Mults as a differentiator? Compare N3AD's score of
9604 with speed demon N6RO's score of 9317. N3AD made 98 Qs but captured
98 Mults. N6RO (running SO2R) made 121 Qs but only 77 Mults. And did they
both operate for the full hour?

4. I'd like to think that CWT contesters are motivated by higher
scorers to improve their own skills, because in the end we really are just
competing against ourselves each week.

Just my 4 cents.

73,
John, K6MM