[Cwo] SO2R - again

John Miller webaron at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 05:26:04 PST 2013

In general I agree with you.  The debate of SO1R vs SO2R rages on within NCCC all the time.  Many would like to see the major contests recategorized to account for the theoretical competitive advantage that SO2R stations have.  A lot, however, has to do with the skill set involved and also actual times on the air.

Comments about the CWT Scores Table:

1.  The scores shown are not meaningful at all unless everyone operates for the full hour in each session.  Otherwise it's an Apples to Oranges comparison.  In my case, in the 0300Z session, I made 70 Qs but only could operate 40 minutes because of a pre-scheduled conference call.  You wouldn't know that from the Scores table.

2.  There were several SO1R stations who actually "beat" some of the  SO2R stations -- or did they?  Compare N3JT's score of 6141 vs N4ZZ's SO2R score of 4752 in the 1900Z session.  Did they both operate for the full hour?

3.  How about those Mults as a differentiator?  Compare N3AD's score of 9604 with speed demon N6RO's score of 9317.  N3AD made 98 Qs but captured 98 Mults.  N6RO (running SO2R) made 121 Qs but only 77 Mults.  And did they both operate for the full hour?

4.  I'd like to think that CWT contesters are motivated by higher scorers to improve their own skills, because in the end we really are just competing against ourselves each week.

Just my 4 cents.

73,
John, K6MM