[Cwo] braiZ

Alan Maenchen ad6e at arrl.net
Fri Jan 4 14:50:36 PST 2013

Personally, I tend to avoid such calls but I'll try. Wed would be best for
me.
Regarding Petes' comments .. see below.

73, Alan  AD6E

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 9:18 PM, Peter Chamalian <w1rm at arrl.net> wrote:

> I’m available any of those times so let me know when.****
>
> ** **
>
> Interesting shift in times/days making it a bit more like the first 24
> hours of CQWW with holes.

AD6E: Interesting observation .. and quite true.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> As for generating more activity from different regions I think we need to
> consider a couple of things:****
>
> ** **
>
> **1.       **What’s in it for the participant?

AD6E:  Which participant?  The object here is to offer time shifted events
that reasonably give Asia, Europe, NA somewhat equal propagation during
different sessions. The past two CWOs have had dismal participation from
Asia. The hope here is to turn that around without sacrificing NA appeal
for at least two of the three sessions.

> ****
>
> **2.       **What else may be going on that weekend (this includes
> holidays, other contests, is this a traditional family weekend, etc.)

AD6E: AA SSB is the biggest problem. I don't know how to judge that. It's
impossible to find a weekend with no competition so we have to choose our
problems.  For competitive events, see:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoAq36vF7YvbdEJUSkhTVnpsaHphSEdTdnRkV0RzNUE

> ****
>
> **3.       **More communication besides our email blast.

AD6E:  Agree .. Suggestions? Actually, Robs' email blasts were multiple
blasts .. not just one. We also used the Yahoo reflector.

> ****
>
> **4.       **Better publicity for the results and winners such as an
> article in NCJ and/or ???

AD6E:  Excellent idea.

> ****
>
> **5.       **More “bling” as I mentioned earlier that awarding the trophy
> to the overall winner in each session virtually guarantees it goes to the
> high power entry.  We need to consider a broader base of awards if that’s
> the motivating factor.

AD6E:  Yes .. to an extent. I don't think it's a plaque vs trophy thing
although Pete keeps getting damn close :-)   Also, I've been trying to get
a "print-your-own" certificate, but K6MM has been over loaded for quite
some time. So, this remains on a back burner.