[Cwo] Log recovery for CWO

Alan Maenchen ad6e at arrl.net
Fri Jul 20 10:42:54 PDT 2012

it's getting closer to the 2nd annual CW OPEN.  Now scheduled for Sept 1-2.

Working off of last year, this year is mostly anticipation.  Rob has put
out hundreds of emails reminding folks of the new date, and he'll do that
again just before the event. With any luck at all this will be a much
better showing of activity.

That said, I'm worried about the post-contest work that needs to be done.
Last year, I didn't receive any logs until after the log submission
deadline.  That proved to be a problem, although not serious as it delayed
the results by a few weeks.

This year could be worse in that regard since I'm traveling to 3D2C Sept
22.  That's just two days after the log submission deadline.  I chose that
date so that I can take with me ALL the logs and work on them off-line.
Internet access is NOT possible on this trip. The web site still shows the
log deadline being Oct 5. Can that be updated?  I've already told others
about the Sept 20 deadline including ARRL.

The log submission web page is up and running. Thanks to Bruce, WA7BNM.
Does this need to be reset somewhere in the back end?  I presume it's still
spinning on the 2011 contest.

We need to set up the TEAM registration form.  That worked great last year.

We need to get the certificate web page running.  This is a hold over from
last year. Fortunately, I've NOT been deluged with rants about not getting
certificates.

Part of the post-processing work is to manually look at each log and fix
problems.  Yes, there are always many problems.  It may only be 5% of the
logs, but that is a significant amount of work.  With my being out of
internet reach for several weeks, that will put a dent into the results ..
again.  However, if I can get access to the uploaded logs immediately
(rather than wait until the deadline), then I can do this checking during
the log submission time period. Hopefully, I can get the bad ones fixed (by
communicating with the entrant) before I leave. That would be a significant
time saver.

Worst case is my laptop falls in the drink and I have to wait until I
return before doing any work.

The TO DO list:

1)  Change log deadline in the rules ..  John or Don ?
2)  Start taking team signups now   ..  John or Don?
3)  Contact Bruce and get logs sent to me when submitted.  ..   me
4)  Finish the publicity drive ...  Rob
5)  Certificates ... John?

Anything else?

Thanks & 73,  Alan  AD6E