[Cwo] CW open rules rev 5

Alan Maenchen ad6e at arrl.net
Sun Apr 24 10:46:22 PDT 2011

Hi Pete,

I understand.  It is possible to catch illegal use of packet/RBN, but as you
say, it isn't easy, and not full proof. So far as I know, it's always been
an honor system. I don't know of any contest that seriously looks for this
and dings people for cheating. In CQP we ignore it. The good news is that
for the vast majority, the honor system works quite well.  What I'm worried
about is a cry from the masses in that we're bucking a strong traditional
trend here by allowing it in the first place. Of course, I sort of enjoy
being a rebel some times.

Especially for this first running, I think keeping categories simple is
important. This is why I did the FAQ the way I did. By allowing entries as
S/A or M/S, I simply assume these are folks using packet and we can decide
later to identify them or not in the results. I think it will be an
interesting study.  Maybe I should strengthen the S/O statement.

BTW, I think CWO will likely be a very good venue to practice SO2R...
something I can do physically, but not mentally.  I agree that SO2R station
has a distinct advantage over SO1R, but so does a station with 6 over 6
compared to a dipole. Both are simply applied technology and $$. In some
cases those issues (and others) may allow splitting categories, but that can
become a problem as well.

Thanks,  Alan