[BARC] Newbie

Tree tree at kkn.net
Sat Jun 5 23:26:24 CDT 2004

On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 02:58:59PM -0700, R.H. wrote:

> I'm Ron, N7TAW, and I run the Northwest Saturday Morning Swapnet (see
> the website at http://www.nwhams.com for more info).  I recently moved
> here to Boring from Gresham--mostly to get away from the Vera Tax, but
> also looking for a nicer place to raise my kids (one five, one born
> three days after moving to Boring--a native!).

Howdy Ron - and welcome to Boring.  We couldn't have too much excitement
on this reflector, or we would have to change the name of the club.

> I've been here for about four months, and have a couple of VHF/UHF
> antennas up, and am hoping to work on getting the tri-band
> omnidirectional antenna up this weekend, but it is a case of seeing how
> much time I have left after the first round of honeydoos.

FB - are you on FM or SSB modes?  The BARC club station will be very
active in the upcoming ARRL June VHF contest next weekend.  Perhaps
you will hear K7RAT on the bands (more likely on SSB than FM however,
except possibly 223.5 MHz).  K7RAT will be heard on 50, 144, 222, 432
and 1296 MHz.

> I didn't know there was a BARC until Jerry, W7BUN, told me about it, and
> I did a little websearching.  My understanding is that the group's main
> thrust is in contesting, and would apprecieate any additional info that
> you'd care to pass along.

Well, the Boring Amateur Radio Club is sort of a strange thing.  It will
take some time for the picture to become clear.

73 Tree N6TR
tree at kkn.net