[ARDF] Region 2 Rules Request - Q and A

Bruce abruceperson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 23:07:12 PDT 2017

Since I'm not in R2 my thoughts on GPS technology are irrelevant.

I disagree with the statement that all skill is removed using technology.

Afterall, many use YNG sniffers that significantly aid in the use of a sniffer to get bearings. This technology is considered fine. It also allows a less skilled entry point into the sport,  which is not something to denigrate worth such low numbers competing in R2 & R3.

I also foxhunt. Our car has technology and Gps all over it. Far more than Vadim's sniffer. This doesn't ensure success though ; the core abilities of navigation, interpretation and planning are what is required and still come to the fore. A skilled team with basic equipment can still outperform it (just like an experienced wielder of lo-tech sniffer can in ARDF).

So, it comes down more to a trade-off. Keep it 'pure' in sort of arbitrarily defined way,  or allow *some* innovation that may also allow more participants (and interested technologists). Think STEM.

Cheers,
Bruce

---- Steve Stutman wrote ----