[ARDF] Region 2 Rules Request - Q and A

Mike (KA5CVH) Urich mike at ka5cvh.com
Tue Sep 26 16:51:51 PDT 2017

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 8:00 AM, Robert Frey <rallenfrey at gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought is was
> about using our ardf and orienteering skills. guess I was wrong.

Mike wrote

While I have not been able to participate to any extent ... I love all
forms of direction finding activities whether traditional fox hunts
whether in vehicles or on foot and while I haven't done much
orienteering since the lymphoma but I still dream about getting back
active at some point ... so just take my comments with a grain of
salt.

As an ARES / PIO person who just went through Harvey and gave numerous
interviews with radio stations and the league I emphasized our need
for training to the "Lowest Common Denominator" mode communications
for EmComm.

My thoughts about ARDF fall along the same lines.  I do not have a
problem with an app on a phone that will take you back to the start,
finish or your vehicle in the event you need it but IMHO these events
should be about using our most basic skills to their fullest ... not
depending upon any wizardry.  Amateur radio is rapidly becoming a
"utility operator" hobby with no basic electronic or RF skills ...
just gadgets.

The only tools we need are a radio receiver, a map, a compass ... and
our BRAIN to process the data.

YMMV

--
Mike Urich KA5CVH