[ARDF] Region 2 Rules Request - Q and A

Charles Scharlau charles.scharlau at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 06:28:16 PDT 2017

GPS is capable of providing more than just the "ability to guide the
competitor towards where bearings cross". Though I think that, by
definition, guiding a competitor toward a particular location is
navigation assistance. One advertised "GPS-enhanced receiver" feature
I've heard of is the ability to measure the distance between a point
(set with a button press?) and one's current position. This also would
seem to fall under the definition of navigation assistance - ask any
orienteer about the navigation skill of estimating distance based on
step count and map location.

But we should not be focusing on technology and devices, instead we
should be focusing on functionality. For instance, few would find
fault with recording one's track for post-competition analysis. In
fact, such use of GPS can be instructive for learning navigation
skills. So why ban all use of GPS? Let's look instead at what
navigation features/functionality should be allowed; which is a much
shorter list than trying to list all the features that should be
banned.

Traditionally ARDF has consisted of the following tool-provided
navigation functionality:

Course Map
Compass Direction
Radio Signal Direction
Radio Signal Strength
Radio Signal Demodulation (not sure if navigation assistance has ever
been derived from this or not - but most receivers provide it since it
is necessary for determining which transmitter is being received.)

I think that is a complete list. Each of those functions could be
provided by various underlying technologies. I argue that if the tools
carried by a competitor provide no more than those functions, then we
shouldn't care what underlying technology he/she is using. I would
argue further, that we should encourage innovation, and that the rules
should permit innovation lest the sport lose all relevance
technologically.

But we should think carefully before we add new functionality to that
list, since doing so has an effect on the fundamental nature of the
sport.

73,
Charles
NZ0I