[ARDF] Looking ahead to ARDF apps (in 2012)

Charles Scharlau charles.scharlau at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 14:37:19 PST 2012

In my previous e-mail on this subject it seems I've created some confusion
regarding what the app is all about. I was trying to avoid providing a
laundry list of features. But maybe a list is in order just to clarify what
it can and can't do. I'll keep it to 10 items.

The app is not named yet, but for simplicity let's just call it "Map and
Compass" (or M&C), since that's central to what it is and does.

Here's an ordered list of M&C's more salient features:

1. M&C stores and displays an off-line map. It can be a map that you, or
your orienteering club, has created. So, if you like, you can use a genuine
orienteering map, not just some street map. (There are free tools available
for creating such maps. I can provide more information to those who are
interested.)

2. M&C can display a street map too! One from the internet, but not Google
Maps. Instead it will show you Open Street Maps, or Open Cycle Maps which
include rudimentary elevation lines.

3. M&C allows you to zoom and scroll the map. If you've ever used the
Google Map app, M&C works the same way: pinch to zoom, swipe to scroll. It
brings a new dimension (literally) to orienteering maps.

4. M&C can use the GPS in your mobile device to determine your location and
display it on the map. The icon for your position is a little arrow that
also shows your current heading (the direction that your phone is pointed).

5. M&C lets you place controls, including Start and Finish, on your map.
They will appear as the familiar pink triangle, circle and double-circle.
You can place the control locations manually using M&C, or you can download
a .KML file (that is easily created using Google Earth) to download a whole
course (orienteering or ARDF) to the app.

6. M&C lets you place bearings on the map, and M&C displays those bearings
separately for each "target control" for which you take bearings. M&C
calculates crossing positions for those bearings, and displays the best
estimate of the target location based on all the bearings taken. M&C also
stores the bearings to a separate .KML file that you can upload to Google
Earth (running on your PC) for further analysis - or for sharing with your
friends.

6. Once you have controls (or bearings) on the map, M&C will assist you in
navigating to those controls. Firstly, it helps by showing you your
position on the map, along with the locations of the controls to which you
are navigating. In addition, M&C calculates the direction and distance to
the controls, and displays that information for you, and even places an
arrow on the display pointing you in the right direction.

7. M&C provides an audio tone indication of how accurately your mobile
device is pointed at a control. If you point your iPhone toward a control,
the volume of the audio tone increases, and as you point your iPhone away
from the control the audio tone volume decreases. Think of it as an "audio
compass" that steers you always in the direction of your target control.

8. M&C can make the audio tone send Morse Code characters for the name of
the control target you are tracking. The effect is very much like tracking
down an ARDF transmitter, especially if you have chosen to name your
controls "MOE", "MOI", "MOS", etc.

9. M&C can record where you've been and the times you were there, and
places that information into a separate .KML file that you can upload to
Google Earth (running on your PC) for further analysis - or for sharing
with your friends who are by now getting tired of all your data!

10. M&C runs on all iOS devices: iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. But those
devices lacking GPS or digital compass will not support all M&C features.

M&C has more features that might be of interest, and still more that are
possible down the road. Right now the app shows promise of providing a
realistic simulated-ARDF or orienteering experience. But just as important
as its realism is that a simulated event can be much simpler and cheaper
hold, and can be much less frustrating and more engaging to newcomers.

Hundreds of hours of work have gone into M&C, and there is still plenty of
work to be done to make it reliable and user-friendly enough for launch. I
would appreciate assistance from anyone willing to devote some time to
testing it, and providing me with feedback on your experiences. In exchange
I will be happy to assist you with creating an off-line map file of your
area that you can use with M&C. You will also have free access to M&C after
it launches on the App Store.

I estimate M&C will be ready to start beta testing in about 6 weeks. So
give it some thought, and please contact me off list if you feel you can
participate.

73,
Charles
NZ0I