[ARDF] Fun and Frustration

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Fri Sep 25 12:54:58 PDT 2009

Marvin Johnston wrote:
> What has worked reasonably well is holding an antenna building workshop
> just prior to the hunt. For $40.00, a tape measure beam kit is provided
> along with an assembled and tested offset attenuator w/enclosure. By
> building the offset attenuator and providing it with the kit, an
> experienced person can finish the kit in 10 - 15 minutes or less.
>
> I don't particularly recommend this approach if you want to work at more
> than a couple of cents/hour :)! But it does help get people to attend.

This works for hams who have an HT, but as others have mentioned hams
aren't the only or necessarily the best target market.  It's been a
while since I've been in Rat Shack, but what does a cheap hand-held
scanner cost these days, and has anyone done any testing with one and
this antenna/attenuator package?

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net