[ARDF] Retaining newbies in ARDF

Neil R. neil at robin-wood.com
Mon Sep 21 22:45:42 PDT 2009

Marvin:
I've pretty much reached the conclusion that those that like to build things
and have an interest in how things work are more inclined to stay with ARDF.
Tinkerers, in other words.  Most hams today are appliance operators not like
years ago when you had to build things.  Even with all the neat things you
can do today with computers, etc. I'm still in awe at radio propagation....
its magic and thats why I never tire of foxhunting.

I live in Northwest Washington State which is very rural so I don't find
many hams that have an interest in ARDF.  I have to look to Victoria,
Vancouver, Seattle and Tacoma to find like minded individuals.  Of those
I've found, we all have the common traits mentioned above.

I've more or less stopped recruiting new enthusiasts and just advertise
meets and let them take the first step and come if they have an interest.
Most of the hams in our town of about 18,000 know that I'm a foxhunting nut.
If I have one or two approach me at a ham club meeting then I'll suggest a
field class at a park nearby.  If they aren't motivated to do that, I
probably will be wasting my time pushing it.

I'm approaching 70 and type 2 diabetic so the formal ARDF meets have a
little too much athletic demands for me but I did participate in the 2007
Region 2 meet and won a bronze because I had no competition.  For the older
folks like me, traveling cross country in the woods alone and being careful
not to pass out because of chronic health limitations requires careful
planning but it can be done.  When I was young, I was a cross country hiker
in the Sierras so that aspect is enjoyable but not everyone may feel that
way. I'll probably attend the next US West Coast/Region 2 meet knowing that
I won't break any records... hi hi

One consideration is have more small prizes.  A piece of ham gear for the
"first to find", a $10 bill, etc.  Many are motivated by rewards of some
sort...also gives a little recognition. I've also tried some trickery such
as a moving fox but be careful of those.....the experienced hunters get a
laugh out of it but the novices can get discouraged when they don't find it.
In 2005, I pulled that trick, told the novices that it was intended for the
advanced hunters, but they still went after it and didn't have the skills
developed enough for success.  We ultimately lost them in the sport.

Anyway, thats my two bits worth.  If you ever want to talk more, I use
ECHOLINK and Skype by pre-arrangement.

73's,
Neil, WA7NBF
Port Angeles, Wa.