[ARDF] Fun and Frustration

Bruce brucep at netspace.net.au
Thu Oct 8 16:13:56 PDT 2009

Since I'm in the car on the long way to Sydney I may as well spend
ages typing in on the iPhone pad :)

I think Charles has touched on somthing important here .... burn out
of volunteers.
I agree there is nothing more dispiriting than putting on a good event
(not just training) for only a couple of competitors ! It's also not
that great if you are one of those lonely competitors.
Unfortunately, setting an event is a lot more than just plonking some
transmitters out in a forest. The prep beforehand of making sure most
of 'the regulars' are going to show, and individually cajoling
individuals to give it a try is more important than how good the event
is.. It's rare an orienteer will try it on a whim on the day; they are
already locked in mentally into doing orienteering. They have to be
approached beforehand I find. Sure, a couple may try if after their
"real event", if that wasn't too taxing.
Just banging on events and hoping competitors will beat a path to try
it I agree is doomed.
We try to encourage all our ARDF group members to set a event each
year, and most now are getting the idea how important the promotion
and prior commitment of competitors is.

I loved Charles unicycle orienteering analogy. Perfect !!
It was one reason I ran an event as part if the Australian
Orienteering Carnival last week; to make RadiO be perceived as a valid
form of orienteering, like SkiO, MTBO and Rogaining. Was interesting
to get a number of New Zealand competitors, one who had done ARDF
years ago. Others from interstate had read my articles in Australian
Orienteer (glad to see at least someone read them !).
At a another recent event I'd managed beforehand to convince just one
of the junior orienteering squad to try it. Luckily on the day he
dragged along another, and the rest didn't want to be left out so
suddenly we had 6 giving FoxOr a try. Normally it would be impossible
to get any.

Marvin's questions: the club owns 10 YNG 2m sniffer and 7 MZ 80m
sniffer kits for loaners. We have also ordered 10 more automated 80m
sniffers. Newcomers do get the hang of the automatic ones quicker than
the more manual units, especially if non technical people. In some
ways kids are more adaptable and will often figure out anything you
give them, or give up entirely.
I'm going to agree with Jay and disagree with Marvin on the Chinese
units. Wouldn't let a beginner near them; they'll just get pissed off.
Recall we run FoxOrs as our introductory style ? Well you can't go
handing out loaners that are less sensitive; they won't hear the
ForOrs till on top of them => frustration & give up. We avoid running
80m foxors till we get the new receivers. The club units are a bit deaf.
The club 80m units are all set in peak mode permanently; it's much
easier to explain to beginners. They don't even have a null switch.
Importantly, they also run in whoopee mode, except on the most
sensitive setting, so the broader peak is less of a problem. We  are
gradually removing the audio/whoopee switches too. The attenuation
knob becomes a 10 way selector switch with preset attenuation levels,
and the 1st step just switches you from audio into whoopee mode. Cut
down the number of knobs and switches for a beginner to get wrong !

The other thing I've learnt is you can't make an ARDF flag too
obvious. Don't  hide the thing. There is nothing more frustrating for
anyone, seasoned or beginner, than waiting around 4 minutes while the
TX is under a bush nearby.

As to how to promte ARDF ..  I dunno.

Orienteering here expends a lot of time, and effort, and to some
extent money, on the schools orienteering program. Hundreds attend the
schools championship, but having helped out and seen, I'm afraid most
kids are there because it's a day off school rather than a serious
committment. The winner is nearly always a kid from an 'orienteering
family'. Number of kids who might go on to a real orienteering event
who aren't already taken there by parents: maybe 3 or 4 I can think
of... out of say 800.
No way can ARDF expend this amount of effort for such a poor return.

Cheers,
Bruce