[ARDF] Fun and Frustration

Marvin Johnston marvin at west.net
Thu Oct 8 15:38:35 PDT 2009

Charles, your comment about doing things differently is something I
fully agree with! The problem is what to do next. And that is why I
started this thread.

Joe, April, and I have been putting on regular hunts for a number of
years. We started to get a bit more attendance by putting on the antenna
workshops. But I would like to get to the point where we have enough
people that we will need to do the events through LAOC (I'm the contact
for Radio Orienteering.)

So how do we do that? To start out, it would be a good thing to ask
people why they don't try it. Lack of time is merely an excuse to
deflect the real answer, but I don't know what that real answer is. This
is a LOT like sales, and I don't know about anyone else on this list,
but I certainly am not trained in sales. But I'm learning :).

My current thinking is to put up an ARDF site dedicated to ARDF
training. It would provide audio, video, and "textbook" training and
serve as a resource for others to get involved. Getting such a site to
rank on the first page of Google would be a no-brainer.

It is trivial to add a forum to the site (takes maybe 5 minutes to
install and another hour to setup.) But I don't know if it would provide
more value than the current listservers.

I'd like to see interviews with members of the US ARDF team that would
probably be oriented towards the experience of ARDF as opposed to
techniques.

And adding interviews from people we know from other countries would
also provide some perspective that this is an international sport.

Right now, I'm asking experts in the field of Internet Marketing how
they would proceed. One of the first responses I got was to have a
*great* story that will pull people in.

The story might be along the lines of describing a downed aircraft, the
search to find it, and where some lives were saved thanks to the RDF
skills of the searchers. And then expand it to show where the skills
learned with ARDF would be very helpful in the above situation.

There are lots of things we can do, but we need to start doing them! I
expect to have such a site live in the next day or so.

Marvin, KE6HTS