[ARDF] Fun and Frustration

Charles Scharlau charles.scharlau at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 07:12:50 PDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 7:13 PM, Bruce <brucep at netspace.net.au> wrote:

> Since I'm in the car on the long way to Sydney I may as well spend ages
> typing in on the iPhone pad :)
>
> Recall we run FoxOrs as our introductory style ? Well you can't go handing
> out loaners that are less sensitive; they won't hear the ForOrs till on top
> of them => frustration & give up. We avoid running 80m foxors till we get
> the new receivers. The club units are a bit deaf.

I am interested in the idea of "morphing" ARDF into something a little
different especially for beginners. The FoxOr idea seems like a nice blend
of ARDF and orienteering, that requires the beginner to become familiar with
the more straightforward skills of navigating by map, and sniffing out a
closeby transmitter.

Sometimes I wonder if the future of the sport might require ARDF itself
morphing into something different. I find ARDF as it is to be fascinating,
challenging, and enjoyable. From its inception over 40 years ago it has
combined navigation skills, radio operating skills, and technical
innovation. (Come to think of it, that is probably the correct order of
importance for succeeding at the sport.) But I believe, from its inception,
the rules and equipment used in ARDF have been intended to make the sport
useful as a training ground for military personnel who might be called upon
to search out clandestine transmitters in time of conflict... and support
for the sport (at least in monetary terms) has come primarily from the
defense organizations within participating countries.

Could a more universally popular sport, with a broader support base, be
designed incorporating many of the elements of ARDF? Maybe a redesigned
version of ARDF would be more successful at attracting participants in
today's world? Might such an offshoot sport funnel more participants into
the traditional flavor of ARDF, or ultimately replace it?

What could make a radio direction finding activity have wider appeal and
a sizeable cult following? I don't have a crystal ball, but I believe that
the evolution of the receiver is centrally important for opening the door
for ARDF evolution. Receivers must become easier to come by, easier to
use, and provide features that can support radio sports with different goals
and strategies. In the process receivers will become cheaper, simpler to
use, and more effective for those engaged in traditional ARDF.

Thus my incessant harping on the need for improvements to the receiver - the
central element of our sport that distinguishes ARDF from orienteering.

73,
NZ0I