[ARDF] Fun and Frustration

Marvin Johnston marvin at west.net
Thu Oct 8 09:42:47 PDT 2009

I am not convinced that high quality equipment is necessary; the
equipment only needs to be adequate to teach the skills necessary to DF.
  If someone is interested, they will obtain the equipment required for
them to do better.

Most of us could probably do reasonably well with almost any equipment
put into our hands (excluding a higher level competition.) An example
would be the 80M Chinese receivers that a number of us bought some years
ago :). Granted, most of us have developed the skill set to know what we
are after, so the equipment we use is secondary to getting the job done.

A number of people have pushed for using AM here in the US to bring us
in compliance with the rest of the world. A big problem I see here is if
people aren't going to get involved with equipment they DO have, there
is little chance they will get involved when specialized equipment is
required.

Bruce - I think that some of Bryan's receivers are used for loaners in
Austrailia; has that helped get in new people?

While I am certainly in favor of developing/obtaining good equipment,
I'm not so certain that the lack of good equipment is hindering the
growth of ARDF.

My suspicion is that relatively few people are willing to dedicate
regular time to promoting ARDF, and that is the real problem. Anyone
disagree?

And if this is the problem, what is needed to get more people to devote
time to promoting ARDF?

Thanks!

Marvin, KE6HTS