[ARDF] Fun and Frustration

Charles Scharlau charles.scharlau at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 06:59:35 PDT 2009

In orienteering, a compass is pretty much a compass, and shoes are shoes,
and gaiters are gaiters. If you're going to try the sport just once, it
hardly matters what you use.

ARDF, unfortunately, is different. A cheap, simple receiver, is generally
more difficult to use and provides poorer results. Thus low tier is
generally going to frustrate and discourage the beginner.

In my opinion, we need highly integrated receivers that provide high
performance and a simple interface... AND are readily available at a low
cost. The only way I see of accomplishing that is to move as much
functionality as possible into software, and take advantage of a hardware
platform that is widely available from high-volume manufacturers. Most
likely the high and low tier differences will find their home in the
software application(s) that we download.

What I'm proposing isn't available now. I'm looking several years into the
future. But it looks like almost all the parts are available now. Only the
little gizmo SDR front end, and its interface to a smart phone, currently
needs to be developed and commercialized... and the software developed to
make it simple to use. The price of the receiver is likely to fall as smart
phone (and other "smart" devices) come down in price, as they most surely
will.

73,
NZ0I