[ARDF] Fun and Frustration

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Thu Oct 8 10:12:32 PDT 2009

Marvin Johnston wrote:
> I am not convinced that high quality equipment is necessary; the
> equipment only needs to be adequate to teach the skills necessary to DF.
>   If someone is interested, they will obtain the equipment required for
> them to do better.
>
> Most of us could probably do reasonably well with almost any equipment
> put into our hands (excluding a higher level competition.) An example
> would be the 80M Chinese receivers that a number of us bought some years
> ago :). Granted, most of us have developed the skill set to know what we
> are after, so the equipment we use is secondary to getting the job done.

I have to respectfully disagree here.  Those entry-level Chinese 80M
receivers are utterly worthless.  Completely useless for DF at all under
any circumstances.  A Ouija board and a dowsing stick would be more
reliable.  They don't even make good wheel chocks as the cases are too
flimsy.  They named them PJ-80 for a reason, they were too polite to
name them PS-80.

If you want to turn someone off to ARDF forever, let them use one of
those for their first hunt.

P.S.  They don't work very well.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net