[ARDF] Fun and Frustration

Mike (KA5CVH) Urich ka5cvh at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 06:23:41 PDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Charles Scharlau
<charles.scharlau at gmail.com> wrote:

> First let's consider an 80m receiver design.

Mike wrote

While this is all good if we want to expand ARDF, IMHO, we need to
think about what its going to take to get people to come.

I contend we need to think about a two (primary) tier level of
equipment.  Lets compare ARDF to classic orienteering for a moment.  A
beginner orienteer probably isn't going to have a lot of o-gear like
gaiters, proper clothing and a thumb compass.  They may have just a
base plate compass and some duct tape wrapped around their ankles to
keep stuff out of their shoes.  As they continue to compete they
acquire items to make them better competitors at what ever level they
are comfortable with.

Tier 1 - Reliable yet inexpensive, plug & play receivers that do not
require a mass amount of money and a BSEE to be able to assemble, test
and align.  The performance does not have to be top shelf but good
enough to compete with.  If the competitor finds they don't like ARDF
its easy to sell and pass on to someone else.

Tier 2 - A combination of kits and home brew designs where the average
builder can assemble and either has the equipment or can borrow what
ever is needed to test and align their project.  Tier 2 would actually
be the spring board for entrepreneurs to build and market as Tier 1
products.

--
Mike Urich
http://ka5cvh.com

You know you're over the target when you start taking flack.

Life is hard, church shouldn't be!
http://fairmontpark.org