[ARDF] 2 Meter receivers

Dale Hunt, WB6BYU wb6byu at arrl.net
Tue Jul 18 07:16:52 PDT 2006

Dave wrote:

>  I'm looking for a 2 meter receiver such as the one Ron Graham has
> advertised or the one G3ZOI has advertised.  Does anyone know if either of
> these radios are still available?  The sites showing these radios appear to
> don't seem to work anymore.   Thanks in advance.   Dave

    I fixed the attenuation problem with my Ron Graham
    with a fairly simple internal mod - think it was just
    changing a resistor, but I'll have to open it up and
    see.  Kuon missed gold medals in two competitions due
    to not being able to take bearings within 15m before
    I fixed hers as well.  My main problems with it are
    the tuning rate (especially trying to find a transmitter
    among all the strong signals in Los Angeles) and the
    fact that I can't hear both the modulation and the signal
    strength at the same time.  (This is a problem when hunting
    a continuous carrier FM signal, but often can be accomodated
    by shifting the tuning a bit.  It isn't a problem with keyed
    carrier transmissions as are found in most European events.)

    But I now use a VK3YNG sniffer, and was able to get a bearing
    faster than a very experienced competitor with manual gain
    when the transmitter first turned on.  (He than outran me,
    of course.)  You might find a Ron Graham receiver surplus
    from someone who has upgraded to a blue box.  (But that
    doesn't mean I'm not working on some other ideas for
    receivers...   just don't hold your breath: the last one
    took 5 years or so.)

    I think the G3ZOI kits are still available but the website
    has changed.  A Google search on "G3ZOI" should find it,
    otherwise I should be able to track it down.  The one
    problem with this approach is that it uses a 455kHz IF and
    you may have image problems if there are strong signals
    910kHz away from the transmitter on either side.  This isn't
    as much of a problem in Europe, but can be if you are in a
    heavily populated area here in the States.

    One thing I recommend is trying out a number of receivers
    to see how they work for you.  If you are anywhere near
    Portland you are welcome to try out my collection and see
    what you like.

    Happy hunting!

        - Dale WB6BYU