[ARDF] 2 Meter receivers

bruce brucep at netspace.net.au
Mon Jul 17 19:41:20 PDT 2006

Hi Dave,

In Australia, at least, the Ron Graham has been pretty well superseded by
the YNG Mk4. The Ron Graham, though good for it's time, was a bit of a beast
to tune (it drifted terribly), and had problems with insufficient
attenuation close up (so people added external attenuator switches).
Having used direct tuning and auto-ranging on the Ultra-sniffer (3TJN/3XAJ),
and then later on the Mk4, I can't ever imagine wanting to go back to manual
ranging and tuning.

Note: In an ARDF event I don't use full auto-ranging. I use it in a mode
where it puts in attenuation automatically, but to take it out you have to
manually push the RANGE button. This is perhaps more personal preference,
since this is the way the Ultra-sniffer used to work, but I prefer that mode
of operation. Especially since it also software re-ranges on the minute
boundaries anyway.

Cheers,
Bruce