[ARDF] My PicCon "script"

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Tue Oct 25 16:52:09 PDT 2005

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 04:06:11PM -0700, Marvin Johnston wrote:

> Everything you are doing looks good. I have all of that programmed into
> the Yaesu 470 DTMF memories so I can reprogram all five transmitters in
> a minute or so.
>
> I am assuming that you started them all at once with a DTMF "1" after
> they were deployed in the field. The only problem with that is some of
> the transmitters might not be able to "hear" from where you are doing
> the start. Setting the A4 start delay allows them to be started before
> they get deployed, and eliminates that problem.

Actually, I held all five of the them in one hand and hit the SW1 on each
in rapid sequence (takes about a half second.)

> FYI, undocumented on the earlier PicCons (not sure about the latest
> revision), DTMF DF while holding the red button down will set the PicCon
> to transmit MO for the finish beacon.

I don't understand this.  I don't have a red button and I don't think
there's an "F" on my DTMF keypad.

> 30 seconds sounds rather excessive but the drift has nothing to do with
> setup, but rather with the crystal clock frequency for the PicCon. You
> can trim the frequency down by putting some capacitors from each side of
> the crystal to ground. The PicCons I used drifted perhaps 3 or 4 seconds
> at the end of about 6 hours. I need about 22 pF on each side of the
> crystal used in the Microhunt transmitters to get the timing close. I
> would guess that you could probably set the audio to some frequency at a
> *VERY* slow CW rate transmitting Dahs, and use a frequency counter to
> get close to the proper frequency without having to wait several hours
> to find out the drift.

I'll check into this.  I have the current model of PicCons, in the
translucent green cases.  The ceramic resonator Y1 has three connections
to the PC board (let's call them left, middle, and right.)  Do I put a cap
in line between left and its pad on the PC board, and then do the same with
right?  Or do I leave the resonator in place and put the cap between left
and ground and between right and ground?  (I'm not really an engineer, if
you couldn't tell :-)  Aside from painful experimentation, how would I know
what value cap to use?

Does temperature have anything to do with it?  Between the time I set out the
transmitters and when we picked them up, the air temperature had gone
up like 20 degrees Fahrenheit.

Some of the PicCons had drifted well over 60 seconds off their cycle over
a period of 7 hours.