[ARDF] My PicCon "script"

Marvin Johnston marvin at rain.org
Tue Oct 25 17:17:46 PDT 2005

Hi Ken,

I was assuming that you had a receiver connected to each PicCon, and the
receiver would hear anything transmitted on its set frequency. If so,
then you could use another transmitter to transmit a DTMF "1" and that
would start everything all at once.

When I program the PicCons, I have DTMF 1 - 5 transmit the codes
specific to transmitters 1 - 5 (C codes), DTMF 6 and 7 transmit all the
stuff common to all the transmitters (A1, A2, and A4 codes), and DTMF 0
sets my callsign into the PicCons. I only turn on one transmitter at at
time to program 1 - 5, but have everything on when transmitting
everything else. Clear as mud :)?

Re: MO. It sounds like the red button on my PicCons are what you are
referring to as SW1. Also the "F" that I was referring to is hex and
would probably be the lower right hand button on a 16-button DTMF pad.
It might also be referred to as "D". If you aren't sure, try them all :)
as one of them will most likely do the job.

I just took a look at the schematic for your PicCon and I see it uses a
ceramic resonator instead of a crystal (as you mentioned and I
overlooked.) You can replace the ceramic resonators with a crystal and a
couple of small caps (Byon suggests about 6 pf) which might give you
better long term accuracy. Since I am not an electrical engineer either,
you might email Byon and ask him about this. All of my PicCons uses
crystals. I rather suspect that the crystal will give more temperature
stability than the ceramic resonator but someone else will have to
verify that one :).

Marvin