[ARDF] OCAD question

Matthew Robbins cedarcreek at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 10:35:27 PDT 2005

Ken,

    I'd probably not use the coursesetting feature to print the maps.
I'd probably just open the map (regularly, not as a template), add a
start and a finish to it, and print.  When the printing is complete,
I'd either save as a new name, or I'd quit without saving.  Somewhere
I have a set of OCAD ARDF symbols that give you a triangle and a 750m
circle and a finish with a 400m circle.
    I think Mike Minium never opens the map for editing in this way
(during printing).  I think he has the courses saved as OCAD maps (not
courses), and he opens that file with the map as a template.  This way
is slightly less risky in that you're more protected from accidentally
changing the map.
    What scale is your map?

    How do other people draw exclusion circles?  I know of no way to
specify a radius or diameter.  Here's how I do it, when I don't have
my symbols defined:

    I select "connection line", like for drawing the lines between
controls on an O' Course, then I select the straight line tool, and I
draw a line exactly the radius I want.  I do this in a convenient
location, like where there might be two lines spaced approximately
that distance.  The while that line is selected, I select
"Edit-Measure" and adjust it to exactly the radius circle I want.
Click on the solid pointer, then move the line so one end starts at
the center of where you want the circle to be.  Now select "connection
line" and the circle tool.  Hold down "shift" and click and draw the
circle.  The "shift" makes the circle grow from a point rather than
the normal circle tool operation.  Draw the circle out to your radius
line.  It's not perfect, but it's close enough.

Matthew
AA9YH
Cincinnati