[ARDF] Piccon mods

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Sun Nov 27 16:13:45 PST 2005

I've now run three tests on modified piccons, each running for several hours.

* Test 1: 3.579545 MHz crystal with 22 pF caps to ground:
  slow by 2.3 seconds/hour.

* Test 2: 3.579545 MHz crystal with no caps:
  slow by 2.3 seconds/hour.

* Test 3: 3.579545 MHz crystal with no caps, 1MHz resistor across crystal:
  slow by 3.2 seconds/hour.

Any ideas?  Test 3, BTW, is what the schematics for PicCon 1.0 show,
but of course PicCon 1.0 used a different DTMF decoder chip and a different
revision of the PIC firmware.  Adding the resistor actually made things worse.

I couldn't tell any difference (just looking at the WWV-synced clock) between
tests 1 and 2.

I guess I should modify another one of my PicCons just to compare.