[ARDF] Course Design Guidelines...

Matthew Robbins cedarcreek at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 11:17:12 PST 2005

I happened upon a discussion of Course Design Rules at lunch today.
It's specifically about designing courses when two frequencies are
used (as in Brno 2004).

There's also an idea about using one band, with two frequencies (e.g.,
two frequencies, but both on 2m).  This one seems pretty unworkable to
me.

The discussion is here, under Appendix C:

http://www.ardf-r1.org/html/26plenary.HTM

I prefer winning times over required course lengths, though.  They
mention winning times, but don't define any.  I think it would be neat
to look at the results of some big events and compare the top times
for each category as a way to define the desired relative
length/difficulty of the various age categories.  For example, where
this says M21: 6-10km, W19: 4-8km --- instead say W19 should be xx%
the length/difficulty of M21 to achieve an equivalent winning time.  I
don't think it could practically be done this way with only 5
transmitters, but I think using two bands would give the designer the
ability to finely tune the various winning times.

They also mention some "possible new" age categories, W60 and M70.

Matthew
AA9YH
Cincinnati, Ohio USA