[ARDF] 2006 Event

Marvin Johnston marvin at rain.org
Thu Aug 11 19:57:25 PDT 2005

If I had to put on the US Championships again and toned it *way* back,
it could be done with perhaps a (bare!) minimum of two dedicated people;
start and finish. Our last practice (a championship course) at Mt Pinos
was basically done with three people, Travis who started people, Jay
Hennigan who picked up most of the transmitters, and myself where I laid
out the course, printed the maps, put out the transmitters, and set up
Epunch. If problems hadn't occurred, I would have had no trouble
starting everyone and getting to the finish before anyone got back. As
it was, there were transmitter problems and Travis showed up while I was
fixing the transmitters and was able to start the people earlier than if
I had to return to the start.

Picking up the transmitters can be a hard job afterwards, and some of
the competitors could help with that. Having epunch capability makes
doing the results a breeze. Awards could consist of simple certificates
presented as soon as everyone got in off the course. A banquet could
also be held at a local restaurant with participants paying for their
own food.

The main cost of putting on a championship events is lodging,
transportation, awards, t-shirts, and awards banquet. Eliminating some
and leaving the rest to the competitors would drop the cost to put on
something like this to the map cost, epunch cost, and any permits that
are required for the competition areas(s). One advantage to doing it
like this would be to almost eliminate worrying about how many people
are required to break even.

Putting on a championship event with the sponsorship of an orienteering
club would provide the necessary insurance to get a permit for most
areas.

Marvin