[ARDF] Re: DF for HF

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Fri Aug 12 10:51:59 PDT 2005

I'm forwarding my reply to the ARDF discussion reflector to get more input...

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 12:14:09PM -0400, wa4fki wrote:
> Good Afternoon,
>
> I am Bill Zeller, WA4FKI. The new Region 2 MS Coordinator. I thought you may have information about construction of a simple loop antenna with a sense antenna that could be used on the HF bands.

It took me a bit to figure out what "MS" stood for, as my first thought
was meteor scatter, which didn't make sense: it's the IARU Region 2
Monitoring System:

http://www.storm.ca/~iarumsr2/

There are a lot of handheld 80M ARDF receiver designs out there.  The big
question (to which I do not know the answer) is whether or not a handheld
receiver designed to DF a 1-5 watt signal less than 10km away by groundwave
would be entirely suitable for DFing a skywave signal that might be much,
much weaker, etc.

And of course you probably want designs for 40M, 30M, 20M, 17M, 15M, 12M, and
10M, too...

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker at kenharker.com