[ARDF] [Adam's RadiO Diary] Day 12 Orienteering Hungarian style.

Adam Scammell a.scammell at rocketmail.com
Mon Sep 6 01:03:09 CDT 2004

Bruce, Bryan and I headed off at 8.30am after another very nice brecky.
We crossed town (using Jaci’s directions) and then caught the HEV
train out to Sventendre. When we arrived at Sventendre we followed some
likely orienteering participants off the train and to the bus ticket
booth, then onto a bus. The bus meandered out of town in roughly the
right direction, as we went the orienteering signs grew in frequency.
We jumped off the bus when the other O people (about 10 in all) did.
And continued up a side road to the event at the Anavologe (Anna
valley) holiday resort. The start/finish, spectator and staging area
was central to the very popular swimming pool. The orgainisers broken
English and our attempts got me entered into the M21B 8km course and my
start was due at 11.27am, time flew and before I knew it I was late
(and still waiting in the toilet que with a rather pressing need). I
arrived at the start some 5 minutes late. I collect the clue sheet and
map then followed the next group up the start chute. I stopped half way
checking my map, soon discovering that I was yet to arrive at the
triangle (thus not yet no the map) I continued on arriving at the
triangle soon enough. To my surprise there was no start control (Ie. My
time started 7 minutes ago (when I was in the loo) I headed off on my
course. A few random notes, it was very hot and dry, half the map was
open grass land (about waist height). I was surprised to see how many
people that didn’t seem to know what they were doing, or even if
they did they still stopped to ask me if the control was here or
there..  I don’t know what all of the IOF symbols are. It’s
hot here. The bush is thick in spots and the blackberries hurt. Ok, so
I was going pretty well, then the guy that I’d been keeping good
pace with for a few controls suddenly stops after punching the control,
apparently lost.. Weird. So I continue on running very well. 80%
finished and now the transition between the 1:10,000 map and an
adjoining 1:5,000 scale. The run down the hill was taped with ribbons,
and required scrambling along a fallen tree in one spot. The final few
controls were in the staging area amongst competitors and kids play
equipment, making route choice / collision avoidance important. I
finished reasonably strongly on the interesting sprint style map. My
time of 82 minutes put me in 20th place, however if you take the 7
(toilet) minutes away I would be in 8th place only 9minutes behind
first. I made use of the pool to cool off and waited for Bryan and
Bruce to finish. (It turns out they had both collected novice maps and
thus ran incorrect courses (so the scoring software didn’t work
for them) Incidentally Bruce had ran the quickest time despite a 10
minute stuff up at the start. We took the public transport boat back to
Budapest down the Danube and enjoyed the many photo taking
opportunities. We also chatted to a few Aussie travelers too.