[ARDF] [Adam's RadiO Diary] Day 9 - A good run

Adam Scammell a.scammell at rocketmail.com
Mon Sep 6 00:26:15 CDT 2004

Today didn't have a good start, I didn't feel like getting out of bed.
However after a shower and a walk to breaky I felt fine. The event was
on the now very familiar Orfu Map, a short 5-10 minute drive saw us at
the start point, which was on the western side of the map. Harley
started first and after a full cycle of transmitters soon set the trend
of running back through the start and out behind us. Next to start was
Bob then me. I started off on what was soon to be my best run, I headed
back up the map at a reasonable speed. If I had have been a bit quicker
up the road I could have collected Tx 3 on it's second cycle, however I
was too slow, and thus got it on the third cycle. From here I headed
east quickly picking up Tx 2 just after it's 2nd cycle, thus 22minutes
total. I then headed north to where my Tx 2 bearings crossed, this was
further than I expected and took one more cycle than anticipated. Next
were to be the two hard ones. I had conflicting bearings for both Tx 4
and Tx 5. I decided to head yet further North passing on the west of
the finish. This was the right thing to do, as within minutes I had
good bearings ahead to both Tx 4 and Tx 5. I knew that Tx 5 was at the
top of a hill because increased in strength, and then as I went
downhill it became weak. I later found that both Bruce and Bryan also
experienced this. I had Tx 5 come on once more. Before I arrived at
position and waited 40 seconds at the top of the hill. When Tx 5 began
I was only 200M away and I easily collected it during that minute. I
then headed southeasterly to one of my anticipated Tx 4 locations. This
was incorrect, but I did get a good bearing pointing at my other
anticipated location. So I went there with good speed and arrived just
in time. I knew I was in a good spot as I could see Vadim just up the
hill, I kept an eye on him, but I was sure he was too high. Tx 4 came
on and it was just back behind me. I ran but wasn't quick enough, as it
just went off. I continued on and soon found it just 50M away. I looked
around expecting to see Vadim but he was nowhere to be seen. Now to the
finish, I had two options, one was to climb a little then 100M of muddy
track then 400M of bitumen, or I could drop a little altitude then 500M
of bitumen I decided to drop down to the main road. This was quick
enough, as I finished in just 2 and a half minutes. Now the difficult
wait to see if Bruce, Bryan or Vadim could beat my time of 57 minutes.
I counted my wasted time 5minutes on Tx 3, then perhaps 5 minutes on Tx
2. I could have finished 10 minutes quicker, but then I wouldn't have
had the energy to run so hard in those later stages. Bruce finished,
9-10 minutes after I did which was ok since he started 5minutes after
me. Vadim was my biggest concern as he started 15 minutes after I did.
However I was safe, as he still had to collect Tx 5. He finished in
about 61minutes or so. Afternoon training was canceled for two reasons.
One is because Gyuri and Thomas are still in Budapest applying and
collecting a USA Visa for Thomas. The second reason is that we
didn’t protest as we all wanted a rest anyway.

We headed of in search of he elusive Barlang (cave) near Abaliget. Edit
who is the lady of the house gave us directions and a distance of 2km,
and instructions that the last tour is at 4pm. Since it was 3.15pm we
figured we'd need to walk pretty quick. We headed off around the lake
past the now vacant swimming pool and empty pubs and camping grounds.
The summer (holidays) ended on Sunday and everyone has gone home or
back to school / work. Once around the lake we found the Abeliget
turnoff and the sign to the cave "now 3km" (+ the 2 (ish) Km already
traveled) we arrived at the cave at 4.20 and found a local (who'd been
mountain bike riding) that spoke English. He helped translate for us. A
tour would begin at 5pm if there were 10 people. We had ice cream while
we were waiting. At about 5ish no one else had turned up so we walked
back home. (No cave tour, but we'd had a  nice walk anyway)
After dinner we were offered donuts (with blueberry or apricot jam) and
Fruit Palinka (a vodka like drink) that was about 50% alcohol, needless
to say we all had a happy night. I retired early so I could pack my
bags for the next days departure.