[ARDF] [Adam's RadiO Diary] Day 5 - Abeliget

Adam Scammell a.scammell at rocketmail.com
Sat Aug 28 14:41:40 CDT 2004

Photos available at http://www.wc.ardf.org.au
or direct at http://www.ardf.org.au/wc/adam.htm

Day 4 - Afternoon
In the afternoon we travelled for about 20 minutes to a map that is new
to us called Jakab-hegy. A few of the Americans that had arrived
several days before us were privy to this map, as they had already run
an ARDF event using it. The event would be 80M Fox-or-ing. The start
finish location was beside a very scenic lake, it appeared to be a
reservoir and I don’t think swimming was allowed. The 7-control event
was just over 2km in length and many of us enjoyed it as a walk. I
finished in about 20minutes only having problems with my first control
due to its low transition power. The event was very enjoyable. Dinner
was a smorgasbord again and the pasta was very nice. We all retired to
bed fairly early.

Day 5 - Albeliget

An 80M ARDF was organised for this morning, it was on a map used once
last year. The map, Abeliget which was not very far from here was
mapped in 1997 and is now quite overgrown, the white areas (open
runnable forest) had changed to a random colour of green (forest
between runnable and impenetrable) The map has many open grassland
areas, and is quite steep in spots with big re-entrants in the west. I
like many others began my course using the main road on the edge of the
map. This allowed for a quick time to my first control (number 4)
however some very thick vegetation got in my way, increasing my time on
this control by 10 minutes. My order was close to only Tx 3 should have
been collected last instead of third. My route choices were far from
optimum at times however. I did choose to return via the main road and
start before heading bush for my second control (Tx 2). From here
things went astray as a poor bearing for Tx 3 and also Tx 5 blurred my
vision, I collected Tx 3 very quickly, then took a very poor route to
Tx 5. My last control Tx 1 was very good, (read easy) and I found it
just prior to its transition 5minutes after my last bearing for it.

We’ve just returned from lunch, fried rice, eggs and pork were served
on a platter. There wasn’t too much left when we had finished. The
peaches for desert were delicious. I’m not a big fruit eater, but they
were great.

This afternoon saw us training without maps or compasses. Five 2M Tx’s
were placed in a small area, this training is for taking bearings in
close at speed. We were started at the beginning of Tx 1, however if we
didn’t find a Tx during it’s one minute cycle we were to return to the
start. After all others had tried, we were again allowed to try.
Bryan on his first attempt didn’t find the first one, I missed the
second Tx, Bruce the fourth Tx. The older competitors (not M21) were
allowed to remain on the course and continue after a 4minute rest.
Bryan required 2 more re-starts However Bruce and I finished on our
second attempt. We all found this training very useful as the distance
speed requirement accurately resembled the stress and sudden death of a
real competition. A second was available for those still fit, I
finished this course on the first attempt, only having a difficulty
with the first Tx. Our trainings were interrupted mid way by two local
yobo’s high on magic mushrooms. They were blaming our radio equipment
for the death of their mushrooms. This was getting quite vocal however,
Gyuri had a quiet discussion with them and they left peacefully (or
not)…