[ARDF] [Adam's RadiO Diary] Day 3 Varalja ARDF

Adam Scammell a.scammell at rocketmail.com
Fri Aug 27 07:23:41 CDT 2004

Day 3 - Maza - Varalja Del 1:10,000
We had an early start this morning leaving at 8.45am we traveled for
nearly an hour to the North West of Pecs. Today's event would be an 80M
ARDF event on a new map. I decided to rest my ankle by walking this
course. I did run into some controls to avoid missing and thus waiting
4 minutes. I was able to succeed quite well only finishing 10 minutes
ahead of Bryan. I was quite a way ahead of Bruce due to a mess up
en-route to the finish. After I finished the storm clouds encircled us
and the rain started. After Bruce and Marvin (Dream Team star member)
finished the heavens really opened up. Danny and Thomas had problems
during control pickup having to wait for a localized flood to subside
before continuing on. On the way back Gyuri informed us that the
afternoons orienteering course would be canceled due to the inclement
weather. Needless to say we were all disappointed... (or not). After a
very big lunch most of us went into Pecs for a shopping excursion. The
weather held up mostly and we even saw a little sun. I purchased some
shorts, then Bryan and visited the old town shopping area that we had
discovered two years prior. On returning to our designated collection
point Bryan and I got some Gelati's that were great. (well worth
another trip I think) Dinner was the usual smorgasbord affair, I didn't
get much past the soup though, still being full from lunch.