[ARDF] Collapsible pole verticals

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Wed Oct 8 14:13:28 CDT 2003

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Kenneth E. Harker wrote:

>      I'm looking for something with which to make an 80 meter vertical
> transmitter antenna like that used at the 2003 IARU Region II ARDF
> Championship.  The best description I can find for building one of these
> is a two-sentence description at: http://members.aol.com/joemoell/80intro.html.
> Does anyone know of a more complete antenna construction article available
> anywhere?  Something that describes how to physically build the transformer,
> what wire guages should be used, how to make tuning adjustments, etc?

Do a Google search for "Saint Louis Vertical" or "St. Louis Vertical" or
"SLV antenna".

>      I know I'll need a collapsible, non-conductive mast to put the vertical
> wire in the air.  I have found three sources:
>
> * My local sporting goods chain, Academy Sports, sells collapsible fishing
>   poles up to 16' in length that break down to comething like 36" collapsed.
>   $22.

The fishing poles are made in 20' lengths as well, I think that's what
was used in Cincinnati.

> * World Radio Magazine sells an "SD-20 Antenna Support."  Basically a
>   carbon fiber collapsible pole that is 20' extended, 47" collapsed.  $25.
>   http://www.wr6wr.com/

I think this is indeed the 20' fishing pole re-labeled as an antenna
support.

> Since the only description of the antenna construction I have uses a 26'
> vertical wire, and I'm sure the transformer winding is dependent on that
> length, I guess I need to look for a 27' to 28' pole.  But I don't want to
> spend $106 per pole.  Can anyone recommend a mail-order source?

I think that mods to the transformer/loading coil will allow you to use
the 20' poles.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/