[ardf] Fox box batteries

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Mon Aug 18 16:20:38 CDT 2003

We have a Toshiba UPS that nas 63 each 7AH batteries in our data center.

We change them out every three years, and will be doing so again this
December or early next year.  The last batch (close to six years old)
are still going strong in fox-boxes around here.

Think about it.  A 2-watt transmitter, even at 50% efficiency, is about
0.33 amps at 12 volts.  Call it half an amp to be safe.  At 20% duty cycle
it would run for 70 hours on a 7 AH battery at full charge.  Even if a
surplus battery is down to about a third of rated capacity, that is plenty.

Receiver and controller drain are minimal compared to transmitter drain,
combined should be under 50 mA.

When we change our UPS batteries again, I'll post to the list.  If anyone
wants some and is willing to pay for shipping, you can have them.  I'd
like to limit it to six batteries per person or group if there's a lot of
demand.  These will be three years old out of UPS service in a temperature
controlled environment, Yuasa NP7-12.

Don't ask me now, wait until I post that I have them.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/