[ARDF] 2004 US ARDF Championships?

Kenneth E. Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Mon Aug 18 09:00:28 CDT 2003

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 09:44:25PM -0700, Marvin Johnston wrote:

> For those of you who might be attending the 2004 US ARDF Championships,
> what are your thoughts about having a week+ training camp followed by
> the US ARDF Championships? My thoughts *currently* are to start on a
> Saturday and run 11 or 12 days, and then start the Championships. I
> would like to tie it in with a 2 day orienteering meet that will be held
> by LAOC and thus that would be the start of the training camp.

I think the training camp would be especially of interest to those who
intend and/or hope to make it on Team USA in 2004.  As I'm not one of those,
there's no way that I could afford to spend two weeks away from work
attending something like this.  Taking two or three days off from work
is more than enough.  Having the competition itself be a Thursday-Saturday
event seems like a good format to me.

Despite my initial reaction to the dormitory concept, I thought it worked
out well enough.  I'm sure it saved us money, and having the practice right
there was really cool.  I think organized sightseeing trips are largely
a waste of effort.  The reason we go to these events is to play radio in
the woods - not to go see museums or shopping malls.  I'm sure people
can make their own sightseeing plans before/after the event.

As far as dates go, the big things (for me) to avoid in the spring/early
summer are:

May 14-16 Dayton Hamvention
Jun 12-13 ARRL June VHF QSO Party
Jun 26-27 Field Day
Jul 10-11 IARU HF World Championships

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences          Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops