[ARDF] 2004 US ARDF Championships?

Marvin Johnston marvin at rain.org
Sat Aug 16 22:44:25 CDT 2003

Things are looking good so far, and once several arrangements are taken
care of, we should be able to officially announce it!

For those of you who might be attending the 2004 US ARDF Championships,
what are your thoughts about having a week+ training camp followed by
the US ARDF Championships? My thoughts *currently* are to start on a
Saturday and run 11 or 12 days, and then start the Championships. I
would like to tie it in with a 2 day orienteering meet that will be held
by LAOC and thus that would be the start of the training camp. The
schedule might be something like:

Saturday, Sunday - Orienteering "B" meet
Monday through Saturday - 2M/80M/Fororing Courses, each followed by how
to do it better and faster.
Sunday - Day of rest/sightseeing?
Monday through Tuesday - 2M/80M/Fororing Courses, each followed by how
to do it better and faster.
Wednesday - Check in for ARDF Championships
Thursday - Short 2M/80M course to calibrate your equipment.
Thursday Evening - Assign starting times for both 2M and 80M courses
Friday - 2M ARDF Championships
Saturday - 80M Championships
Saturday Evening - Awards Banquet
Sunday - Departure

The starting dates would tentatively be around the 2nd week in June.
Having a schedule such as above would also allow people to attend some
of the training who couldn't take a full 2 weeks off for the
training/championships.

Because the World Championships are also taking place in 2004, I would
really like to see the costs kept down. There are a number of options:

How many people would like to see this treated similar to an
Orienteering "A" meet like what Sam did in Georgia where everyone is
responsible for their own lodging and transportation? This is currently
what we have been thinking about.

What about providing a central "living" quarters, and everyone is
responsible for their own meals/tranportation? What about camping out?
What about sightseeing trips for other family members that might be
coming out? Other suggestions?

Please post your comments, and let's see what types of things people
want.