[usa2003ardf] Transmitters

Kenneth E. Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Thu Aug 7 08:47:05 CDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 08:05:48AM -0400, Sam Smith wrote:
> I have 5 ammo boxes made up with assorted old HTs for the 2 meter
> transmitters, the ON7YD 80 meter transmitter (you can get the board for
> this from FAR circuits) and piccon controllers. A 7ah gel cell, antenna
> connectors, a switch to select 2M or 80meter. A small circuit to turn on
> and off the oscillator on the 80M transmitter. The only things coming
> out of the box are the antenna connectors.

How do you charge the gel cells?  If I remember the ones in Georgia, there
were binding posts on the outside of the ammo cases that I assume go to the
gel cell battery terminals.  Are there charge controllers built into the box?
If so, what kind/where do you get them?  If not, what external charge
controller do you use?

Also, for those who use ammo cases, have you ever had overheating problems?
It can get really hot in Texas, and I wonder if anything goes wrong with
gear when it gets really hot...

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences          Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops