[usa2003ardf] Transmitters

Sam Smith sam.smith at ece.gatech.edu
Thu Aug 7 09:05:48 CDT 2003

I have 5 ammo boxes made up with assorted old HTs for the 2 meter
transmitters, the ON7YD 80 meter transmitter (you can get the board for
this from FAR circuits) and piccon controllers. A 7ah gel cell, antenna
connectors, a switch to select 2M or 80meter. A small circuit to turn on
and off the oscillator on the 80M transmitter. The only things coming
out of the box are the antenna connectors.

I run the HTs in split mode, so I can control each of them seperately.
They still have to be on and listening in 80 meter mode, although they
don't transmit.

The biggest pain with the piccons is how easy they get confused by
fumble fingered operators - don't hit the wrong touch-tone! No doubt Bob
and Dick can testify to this... Since I only use them in IARU mode I
wish I could just turn off all the other features.

I also have a bunch of the montreal controllers, which is what I used
before I went to the piccons. They also have their share of problems.
There is no remote control, so if they get out of sequence, it's quite a
hike out there to reset it. I now use them for the homing beacons, when
I am forced to put one out!

I use the 20 foot poles for the 80 meter verticals, and 5 ground radials
laid out on the ground. I have a tapped coil wound on PVC at the base of
the vertical, although I can't say it has improved the ground wave any.
I just tape the vertical tip to the pole since we broke all the tips off.

Which brings up another topic - relying on volunteers to "help" you with
your equipment - I have broken more antennas that way - it seems
something is always in need of repair. Which is worse, setting out all
the transmitters by yourself or suffering a little breakage?

Sam N4MAP